California Sea Lions Anatomy and Biology
(Ages 9 and up)
Learn about adaptations that make California sea lions unique and able to live efficiently in the ocean environment.
Multimedia presentation includes:
· Characteristics of mammals
· What makes marine mammals unique
· The difference between ‘true’ seals and sea lions
· Sensory systems of sea lions
· Unique anatomical and physiological traits of the California sea lion
· Locomotion and diving capabilities of California sea lions
· Threats to marine mammals and ways to be good environmental stewards
· Questions and Answers
· LS 1.A – Structure and Function
· LS 1.D – Information Processing
· LS2.D-Social interactions and group behavior.
· ESS 3.C – Human Impacts on Earth Systems
Anatomy, biology, characteristics or traits, evolution, mammals, skeletal structure, anatomy, locomotion, pelvic girdle, tapetum lucidum, vibrissae, thermoregulation
Connection Technology (*For Distance Learning):
We use Zoom to connect with participants. The education department will send you a link with instructions on how to connect with us for the test call as well as the presentation on the day of your program. In order to insure your presentation goes smoothly, a five-minute test call must be conducted one week prior to the presentation. Test calls are scheduled Monday through Friday between 10 am to 4 pm PST.