California Sea Lion Life History & Ecology
(Ages 9 and up)
Learn about California sea Lion life history and ecology. Learn about what makes marine mammals unique and the classification of sea lions. Discover the habitat, life cycle, diet, predators and common behaviors of California sea lions. Explore human impacts on marine mammals and ways to be a good environmental steward
The program is a live multimedia presentation
1. We begin by discussing what makes marine mammals unique and the classification ofCalifornia sea lions
2. We discuss and view videos of the habitat, life cycle, diet and common behaviors of California sea lions
3. Students explore human related threats to marine mammals and brainstorm ways to be good environmental stewards
4. Questions and answers
1. Explore the uniqueness of marine mammals as well as the habitat and life history of the California sea lion.
2. Engage in a discussion about anthropogenic factors on marine mammal populations and their environment.
3. Brainstorm ways to mitigate anthropogenic threats to marine mammals.
4. Be able to identify unique traits of pinnipeds
5. Understand human imposed threats to their existence and everyday solutions that can help.
Standards, Disciplinary Core Ideas, Cross Cutting Concepts and Science and Engineering Practices
Science and engineering practices:
1. Asking questions and defining problems
2. Analyzing and interpreting data
3. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Disciplinary Core Ideas
· LS 1.A – Structure and Function
· LS 1.C* – Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms
· LS 1.D – Information Processing
· LS2.B. Cycles of matter and energy transfer in ecosystems
· ESS 3.C – Human Impacts on Earth Systems
· Cause and effect
· Structure and function
· Stability and change
Ecology, conservation, food pyramid, breeding/reproduction, migration, communication, pinniped, otariidae, species, locomotion, habitat, predators, overfishing, El Nino
We use Zoom to connect with participants. The education department will send you a link with instructions on how to connect with us for the program. In order to insure your presentation goes smoothly, we ask that you do not connect via WIFI. A cabled connection to the internet helps insure transmission of HD video files included in the presentation.