Stewards of the Sea
Our Stewards of the Sea program explores how essential a clean watershed is to the functioning of our planet. Participants discover sources of pollution and their effects on the environment. Students hear stories of our marine mammal patients who have been entangled in trash and rehabilitated. Children learn how our day to day actions and choices make a difference. Program includes extensive pre and post curriculum.
The body of the program consists of:
1. Brief introduction to Pacific Marine Mammal Center
2. Pollution sources
3. Effects of pollutants on marine life
4. How reducing packaging can reduce the amount of trash in the ocean
5. How our every day choices make a difference in preserving the planet
6. How communicating these messages to others is important
At the conclusion of the program students will: be able to
1. Define a watershed and understand the path trash takes from land to the ocean
2. Describe different types of pollution, their sources and how they can harm sea life.
3. Explain several things they can do to eliminate marine pollution.
4. Understand and explain the importance of sharing the need for ocean stewardship with others
5. Understand and explain how one person’s behavior can make a difference
Asking questions and defining problems.
Developing and using models.
LS1.C: Organization for Matter and Energy Flow in Organisms
LS2.C: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience
ESS3.C: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
Cause and effect: Mechanism and explanation
The student will demonstrate the ability to:
Create strategies for minimizing amounts of non-point source pollution in their neighborhoods.
*A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas
We use Zoom to connect with participants. The education department will send you a link with instructions on how to connect with us for the program. In order to insure your presentation goes smoothly, we ask that you do not connect via WIFI. A cabled connection to the internet helps insure transmission of HD video files included in the presentation.